After an accident, many victims find themselves struggling with the recovery process. In addition to physical healing and dealing with time lost from work and medical bills, many people find themselves trying to navigate through some of the confusing legal issues that can surround an accident. Many people are not even sure how to pick an Accident Attorney in Upper Marlboro. Here are some factors to keep in mind when looking for legal representation.
How to Pick an Attorney
- Where is the attorney located?
- A lawyer’s location is important not only because a lawyer needs to be licensed to practice in the state where the injury occurred, but also because of how easy it will be to access that lawyer.
- What is the attorney’s win/loss record?
- Unless an attorney has a reputation for taking cases that other attorneys will not tackle, then the higher the attorney’s win/loss ratio, the more confident clients can feel that the attorney follows the appropriate steps and procedures for their cases.
- Does the attorney do trial work?
- Some attorneys focus exclusively on obtaining settlements for their clients and refer clients out to trial attorneys when settlement is not possible.
- What is the attorney’s reputation?
- Some people want an attorney that is willing to do anything for them. However, it is very important to have an ethical attorney. What do people say about the attorney? Is the attorney able to provide client references, if requested?
- What is the attorney’s disciplinary record?
- A disciplinary record goes beyond reputation and looks at whether an attorney has ever been the subject of a complaint. While many good attorneys may be investigated, any type of punishment, from censure to suspension and disbarment, is a red flag that should encourage clients to ask questions.
- How long has the attorney been in practice?
- Every great attorney was once a new attorney. However, if the attorney has not been practicing for long, then a client may want to ask questions about whether the attorney has a mentor or a senior attorney in their firm to consult when confronted with new or challenging scenarios.
Find Out More
The Jaklitsch Law Group is a personal injury firm that can meet a victim’s needs for an Accident Attorney in Upper Marlboro. Look them up online or find them on Facebook to learn more about their approach to personal injury law.