What You Should Do in Order to Gain Joint Custody as a Father

by | Oct 10, 2019 | Lawyers and Law Firms

Parents must protect their children and give them a value system to rely on. However, it is hard to do this when not staying in the same household as your child. Unmarried fathers should schedule an appointment with a child custody attorney in Hollywood, FL. It helps to find out your rights.

Understand Custody

Legal custody is when a parent makes a decision about the child’s welfare, care, health, and education. Physical custody is when a parent cares for the child within the household and meet the child’s daily needs. Every parent who has legal custody of a child does not share physical custody. When a parent has 50/50 joint custody, he or she usually shares physical custody.

Request for Joint Physical and Legal Custody

If you are going through a divorce, then you want to make the request for joint physical and legal child custody in your divorce petition. You must explain how you plan to seek custody and outline a proposed custody schedule. The custody schedule should give details about how you plan to transfer the child between the two homes. If you are not going through a divorce, then you will need to file a complaint for child custody.

Assess the Best Interest

Most courts want to make a custody decision that is in the best interest of the children. They must evaluate this best interest. These factors include the child’s age, the child’s relationship with the parents, and the parent’s ability to meet the child’s daily needs.

The courts can also look at the parents’ finances, lifestyle, moral beliefs, and the home environment. If the child is old enough, then the judge may ask the child where he or she wants to stay. A child custody attorney in Hollywood, FL, can help you prepare for your case.

Parents serve as a role model. You must set high standards for yourself and your children. Contact or visit the website to start custody proceedings today.

A-List Articles